Immigration Services

Immigration Services

Family Immigration

Permanent Residence Based on Immediate Relative

A marriage-based Immediate Relative Petition must demonstrate a bona-fide marriage to a U.S. citizen and demonstrate that the applying immigrant has enough financial support to on which to live without becoming reliant on U.S. government welfare.

After the I-130 Immediate Alien Relative Petition/I-485 Adjustment of Status Application package has been filed, an adjustment of status interview will be scheduled for you and your spouse to appear at the local USCIS office. At that time, you will need to provide evidentiary documentation to support your relationship, which may include:
  • Birth certificates of any children born to the marriage;
  • Joint financial records (such as bank accounts, investments, credit cards, etc.);
  • Joint tax returns;
  • Insurance policies listing spouses as beneficiaries;
  • Joint loans;
  • Lease or mortgage contracts showing that you share a residence;
  • Copies of joint utility bills;
  • Correspondence addressed to both of you, or correspondence between you;
  • Joint memberships;
  • Photos of the two of you as a couple and with friends and family;
  • Confirmation of major purchases made together (cars, jewelry, etc.).
If you are married less than two years at the time of the adjustment of status interview or application for admission into the United States, you will be granted conditional permanent residence status for a two-year period. The actual "green card" will expire on the second anniversary of the date that residency was granted (i.e., not two years from the date of marriage). In order to convert to unrestricted permanent resident status, you and your U.S. citizen spouse will need to submit a Joint Petition to Remove Conditional Residency (Form I-751) during a period of 21 to 24 months after the initial grant of conditional residence. If this petition is approved, you will be issued an unconditional permanent residence card and will be allowed to permanently live and work in the United States.

21700 Oxnard Street, Suite 860, Woodland Hills, CA 91367 T 818.435.3500 F 818.435.3535