Immigration Services

Immigration Services

For Investors

L-1A Intracompany Managerial or Executive Transferee Nonimmigrant Visa

The L-1 visa category is appropriate for international companies with two (2) or more international locations, including the United States. A sponsoring U.S. employer and the related company abroad must have a "qualifying relationship", which means that each of these entities must be related to the other as a "branch", "parent", "subsidiary" or "affiliate."

In order to qualify as an intracompany transferee in the L-1A managerial/executive category, the beneficiary must have served abroad as a manager or executive for at least one (1) year of the three (3) years prior to the application for admission to the United States. Also, he or she must serve as a manager or executive upon admission to the U.S., as defined below:
  • Managers are those who: (1) manage the organization or a component of the organization; (2) supervise the work of other supervisors, professionals, or managers or manage an essential function; (3) have personnel authority (hiring and firing) or function at a senior level within the company hierarchy or with respect to the function managed; and (4) exercise discretion over the day-to-day operations.

  • Executives are those who: (1) direct the organization or a major component; (2) establish the goals and policies; (3) exercise wide latitude in discretionary decision-making; and (4) receive only general supervision or direction from higher level executives.
L-1A visas can be granted for an initial period of three (3) years and may be extended in increments of two (2) years for a total stay of seven (7) years. The L-1 is an "employer-specific" visa, which allows the beneficiary to work for the sponsoring employer only. If there are any changes to the original "qualifying" corporate relationship or the beneficiary's title or responsibilities in the U.S., please contact our office.

Spouses and children of L-1 visa holders, who are classified as L-2 dependents, are entitled to work in the United States and may apply for an Employment Authorization Document.

21700 Oxnard Street, Suite 860, Woodland Hills, CA 91367 T 818.435.3500 F 818.435.3535